Dr. Becker's primary research centers on creating new astronomical surveys with wide ranging applications. He recently launched a radio survey of the northern Galactic pole using the
Very Large Array covering 10,000 square degrees (25 percent of the sky) with an unprecedented sensitivity of 1 mJy. An estimated 1,000,000 radio sources could be identified with positions accurate to 1 arcsec. With such precise positions, optical counterparts will be identifiable down to the 23rd magnitude with little or no ambiguity. The survey will also be a powerful tool for studying quasar and galaxy evolution.
- Robert H. Becker
- Ph.D. - University of Maryland, 1975
- Observational astrophysics
Honors and Awards
Robert H. Becker
- Associated Western University - Summer Faculty Fellowship, 1992
- Associated Western University - Summer Faculty Fellowship, 1991
- Associated Western University - Summer Faculty Fellowship, 1990
- International Astronomical Union
- American Astronomical Society
Return to the home page.